Green Card: Am I Eligible To Apply For A Green Card?

Here are the categories of people who may be eligible to apply for a green card. Every case is different, so it’s important to work with an accredited representative or immigration attorney to help you understand all the requirements.

Family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents. You may be eligible to apply for a green card if you are the spouse, child, parent, fiancé, or adult sibling of a U.S. citizen or if you are the spouse or unmarried child of a U.S. citizen. a permanent resident. Processing times differ depending on the type of family member and the country of origin. Learn more about the family reunification process.

Refugees or asylum seekers who have been in the United States for at least one year as a refugee or whose asylum was granted at least one year ago.

Immigrant workers: jobs based on green cards could be available for first, second, and third-preference immigrant workers.

Victims of human trafficking, crime, and abuse: You may be eligible to apply for a Green Card if you are: a victim of human trafficking (T Visa), serious crime (U Visa), abuse related to VAWA law, or a special juvenile immigrant.

Special Status Immigrants: Special categories of immigrants, including people from Afghanistan and Iraq on Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs), religious workers, and others, may be eligible for a green card.

Other: You may be eligible for the Diversity Program Visa (visa lottery), the Cuban Adjustment Law, or the Registration Program if you have lived continuously in the U.S. since before January 1, 1972, among other categories.

Who Can Help Me?

Legal documents can be difficult to complete without the help of someone who understands the law and said process. This may be an immigration attorney or a US-accredited legal representative—Department of Justice. If you do not have a resettlement agency or immigration professional to help you, please seek legal help before applying.

NOTE: Not all lawyers are immigration specialists. It is essential to work with a lawyer certified in immigration and nationality law.

SimVisa, for example, provides you with basic general information to help you understand the process of applying for permanent residence. We are not legal professionals and cannot help you complete your application.

What If You Don’t Have A Lot Of Proof That Your Marriage Is Real?

You may not have much evidence of a long-term financial relationship if you’re married. It is understood that some couples meet and marry quickly and immediately seek a green card. If you are recently married or still trying to bring your spouse to the United States, you may have very little to show, but you must be able to produce the proof you have that your marriage is real.